Monday, August 06, 2007

Lyeth Meritage, 2004 Sonoma County


I had this Meritage a while ago and just recently found my notes on it. It wasn't bad and I have not had a Meritage wine on the blog for a long time. A Meritage is a Bordeaux blend from the States, so mainly Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot are used but the other varieties allowed are Cabernet Franc, and Petit Verdot and Malbec or for whites, Sauvignon Blanc, Semillon, and Sauvignon Vert (a.k.a. Muscadelle). The Meritage Association was started in 1988 and Lyeth was one of the founding members. This Meritage is 78% Cabernet Sauvignon, 10% Merlot, 10% Malbec, and 2% Cabernet Franc.
Color: Deep red, very red, almost like a red juiced grape of the Teinturier varieties. Probably not used though.
Nose: Lots of red fruits, ripe, cherry liqueur, hint of cocoa and orange. Sweet cedar aromas come too with some slight bell pepper.
Palate: Clean tart finish, a bit flabby on the mid palate though. The flavor finishes a bit quick but that acidity is good and lingers reminding me that my glass is not yet empty. So I go back for more.
Overall: The nose is a bit deceiving, it made me think I was going to have a bigger wine on the palate, but I still enjoyed the wine. I bought it for $10 and at that price I would definitely buy it again but I see it more often around $15, I don't know if I would pay the extra fiver for round two. I give the wine a B-.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home